Early Decision Student Stories

null
Sam Walters, second from left, with some fellow students

Matthew DeMattia ’19, Dual Political Science and Television, Radio, and Film major

Why did you apply ED?

I applied ED to Syracuse because I knew, without a doubt, that Syracuse was the school that I wanted to attend. It took me two visits, about 10 hours of driving, and weeks of online research, but I had come to the conclusion that SU was my dream school and that if I wanted to maximize my chance of getting in, I needed to commit by applying ED.

What was the best part about applying ED?

The best part about applying ED is certainly finding out early. I remember receiving my acceptance to Syracuse in mid-December, and that gave me the ability to relax and enjoy the second half of my senior year of high school. While all my peers were frantically trying to finish their applications and anxiously awaiting their decisions, I was simply able to enjoy my last few months of high school, which was absolutely awesome.

What would you say to students who applied ED this year?

I would tell students who applied ED that they made a fantastic decision.

Megan Hart ’17- Communication Sciences and Disorders major

Why did you apply ED?

After setting foot on the Syracuse campus, I knew I had to apply ED. Any person I talked to who was affiliated with the university- whether it be a professor, student, alum, etc.- was so incredibly passionate about the university and it was infectious. I know I’ll be 80 years old and tell my grandkids, “I went to Syracuse 60 years ago and am still really excited and proud to have been a part of that.” The alumni network was also a huge draw for me. To know there are thousands upon thousands of people who have graduated and moved on from SU, yet are willing to reach back and help us make the most of our experience, was a huge plus to me.

Aside from the relief of knowing where I was going to college before Christmas of my senior year of high school, I had lots more time than some of my friends to start preparing for college in all sorts of ways. I was able to start prepping physical belongings for my dorm with the weight of the decision lifted off of my shoulders, but I was also able to get on to mentally preparing and being excited about the journey I was going to embark on.

It makes me so happy to hear when students applied early decision! I’m so excited that you’re already living up to the enthusiasm and drive that is the embodiment of Orange Pride. Make this process your own and let your belief in yourself run wild. Some pretty amazing things will happen when you do.

Hope Meltser ’18, Dual Graphic Design and Selected Studies in Education major

Why did you apply ED?

I applied early decision because as soon as I came onto campus I knew that Syracuse was the place for me. None of the other colleges I visited had the same feel or reaction. On a less poetic note, I was also extremely stressed out by the idea of choosing a college and the idea of having it done as soon as possible at a school I loved was too good to pass up.

I heard about my admission to Syracuse on December 9, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. and from that point forward I was done! Since I applied ED, Syracuse was the only college application that I had to submit because I heard back early enough that I didn’t have to finish (or submit and pay for) any of the other applications I had started. So, while all my other friends were still having minor breakdowns I was done, happy, and ready to finish out my senior year.

Smart decision everyone!

Ankita Varman ’19, Dual Public Relations and Management major

Why did you apply ED?

I applied ED because I knew Syracuse was the place I wanted to be. I heard about the school when I was searching for a school strong in both public relations and business. Then, I heard about the Posse scholarship in Atlanta (I am originally from Johns Creek, GA) and applied through that.

Being secure in my choice and finding out early about my future. I avoided the stress that comes with figuring out college plans second semester of senior year in high school.

Be confident in your choice! You made it because you loved it, and no matter what happens, trust that choice that you made.

Samantha “Sam” Walters ’20, Undeclared

Why did you apply ED?

I applied early decision because as soon as I stepped foot on campus at Syracuse, I knew that this was the school for me. I absolutely fell in love with everything about the school, especially the welcoming spirit of the Orange. I also applied early decision because not only was Syracuse my number one choice but I wanted to hear back sooner.

The best part was knowing where I was going to college before I even went on winter break during my senior year of high school. I also liked that I only ended up applying to one college, which was Syracuse, so I never stressed too much about the college application process.

I would hope that they are as happy with their decision as I am and welcome to the Orange family!

Learn more about applying Early Decision.