Why We Applied Early Decision

Lauren Czudak ’19
Psychology, Selected Studies in Education
Livonia, NY

Why did you decide to apply Early Decision at Syracuse?

Syracuse was a top choice for me after visiting my brother on campus. At an Orange Preview, I took a tour of campus and met with staff from the School of Education. I learned about Selected Studies, which is such a unique program that has diverse career options.

I fell so in love with the campus and the school and everything it provides. I felt like I was at home. The school spirit and the fact that the whole community “bleeds orange” truly set it apart. Syracuse offered a significant number of student organizations, strong academics, and it was a good distance from home.

What was it like to receive your notification?

I was ultimately admitted to my second choice program. At first, I was extremely disappointed. But my parents were so proud of me and emphasized how competitive Syracuse is. After 15 minutes it hit me how huge the honor was of being accepted ED. Since I wasn’t admitted to my first choice program, the decision was no longer binding. But I still knew I wanted to attend Syracuse. I even transferred into my first choice once I was a student.

Why should students apply ED?

Make sure that you truly see yourself at Syracuse for those four undergraduate years. It is a large commitment, but if you want to attend this university, it’s worth the pressure. Be sure you have conversations with your parents, counselor, and yourself about the application process. Speak your mind and let your parents understand and support your decision.

Max Josef ’21
Sport Management
San Francisco, CA

I began formulating my ideas for what I wanted in college while in middle school. I knew I wanted a mid-sized school with a strong sports team. I ended up visiting five colleges, including Syracuse. I ultimately applied Early Decision at Syracuse because I believed it would best prepare me for my future. The Sport Management program is incredibly strong, with .

Mostly, I wanted my decision early. The college application process is incredibly stressful and I just wanted to know where I was going and have a relaxing second semester.

How did you receive your notification?

I thought I would hear during finals week. I set an alarm on my phone for when I received an email from Syracuse. We were taking a practice final in my Pre-calculus class. As I was finishing up my test, the alarm went off. My teacher shook her head and let me go to the bathroom, telling me to “take my stuff and don’t come back if you don’t get the answer you were expecting.”

Why should students apply ED?

I think it’s a lot less stressful. It makes for a more enjoyable second semester of senior year. For me, I thought it was the best course of action because I knew I wanted to be at Syracuse. I think going Early Decision shows your passion in ways that a 1,500 word essay can’t.

Matthew Lyons ’22
Selected Studies in Education
Fair Lawn, NJ

My cousin graduated from Syracuse, so I heard a lot about the university growing up. It became a true contender in high school, as I was looking for colleges with strong education programs. I visited campus and was struck by how unique the teacher prep programs are in the School of Education. No other school I visited allowed students to have a field placement in the first year.

Syracuse became my first choice. Beyond the impressive academics, I felt at home here. I knew if I got accepted to Syracuse I was going to attend, so why not apply Early Decision? All my application materials were ready to go and it would relieve a lot of stress knowing which college I’d be going to by December of my senior year.

What was the wait like?

The wait was nerve-wracking. You try to put it in the back of your mind, but it’s hard. All my friends who were applying Regular Decision were putting the finishing touches on their applications. But I was dealing with a different type of stress. It was such a relief once I heard back in late December.

Why should students apply Early Decision?

Anyone that is really passionate about Syracuse should apply ED. If the college is your first choice and you can see yourself as part of the Syracuse community, you should apply early. Your application will stand out and it shows your dedication to being Orange.

More blogs like this: